Alex Márquez crowned 2019 Moto2 World Champion
262 points, 10 podiums and 5 victories are the crucial numbers that have ensured Alex Márquez has been crowned 2019 Moto2 World Champion in history-making fashion. Marquez becomes the first World Champion of the new Triumph era and the first rider to win titles in both Moto2 and Moto3.
- The Sepang circuit has seen Alex Márquez crowned Moto2 World Champion after crossing the finish line in second position to move into an unassailable 28-point lead in the standings with just one round remaining in Valencia.
- In his fifth year in the intermediate World Championship category, Márquez is crowned Moto2 World Champion for the first time and becomes the only rider to win the Moto2 and Moto3 title after his success in the lightweight class in 2014.
- He is also the first winner of the Triumph 765cc three-cylinder engine era.
- 262 points, podiums, 5 victories, 6 poles and 5 fast laps are the key statistics that have helped Márquez become Moto2 World Champion during an intense and dramatic title chase in which he has fought against several tough opponents throughout an exciting season.
- Tenacity, effort, character and teamwork have been the vital factors in ensuring Márquez enjoyed such a fantastic season to wrap up his second World Championship. Not only it is a memorable accomplishment by Márquez but it is a special moment for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS, who win a third Moto2 title after Tito Rabat won in 2014 and Franco Morbidelli triumphed in 2017. This year’s outstanding season once again proves that Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS is one of the best and most successful in Moto2 history.
- In addition to the three world titles, Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS has collected an impressive tally of 101 podiums, 33 victories and 40 poles in the Moto2 class.
Alex Márquez, Moto2 World Champion:
“This title feels great and gives me a lot of happiness. It's been a really complete season and we've always been there, at all kinds of circuits and conditions. We managed to get rid of the bad times and got the most out of the good ones. We’ve been the most complete package on the grid and thanks to that we’re World Champions. When I crossed the finish line today many thoughts came to mind, especially all those people who have helped me. This year I’ve felt really happy and this translated to my performances on the bike. The team has given me the confidence and support that I needed. It’s this confidence and support I’ve felt all year that will stay with me when I remember 2019. I’m living a dream and I can only say thanks to all the members of the team, to my family, friends and sponsors who have helped and supported me. I have to say a special thank you to Marc Van Der Straten for the love and trust he’s shown me during these five years.”
Marc van der Straten, Team Owner:
“Today is a historic day for the Marc VDS team. Not only because of what it means to win our third Moto2 World Championship, but also because of the way Alex has done it. This season he has stopped being Alex Márquez to become Mr. Alex Márquez, demonstrating that he has Talent, tenacity and intelligence at the same time and the most important thing, to know how to combine the three things to obtain the best possible result.
Today, Alex fulfils his dream and I am very happy to have been able to help him achieve it. Since he arrived in 2015 we have seen him grow, fall, fight and win to become the Champion he is today. And it has been a pleasure. I want to congratulate and thank all of the people who make up the great Marc VDS family because once again they have shown that we continue to be a benchmark in the category.”
Ignacio Rivera, CEO Hijos de Rivera:
“For all of us who are part of Estrella Galicia 0,0, today is simply an unforgettable day. Our dear Álex Márquez presents us again with another world title, as he did in Valencia in 2014 in Moto3. Since we started our adventure together in 2012, when he was competing for the CEV, we have been growing in pursuit of a common goal. It is precisely this path, overcoming adversity and intense moments, which defines our philosophy of talent in Estrella Galicia 0,0. It is a source of pride for us that Alex represents these authentic values and it is undoubtedly a privilege for us to be part of his dream for eight years now. Congratulations Alex!”
Joan Olivé, Team Manager:
“I'm very happy for Alex and for the whole team. It has been an incredible year with the best possible finish and I want to congratulate Alex for having achieved the goal he set himself at the beginning of the year. Without doubt he has proven to be the best rider in the category by being the most constant, fast and knowing how to manage the whole season with maturity. All success requires work, effort and dedication and Alex has been dedicated to achieving this title from day one. And he wasn't the only one. The team has worked very hard throughout the year, demonstrating day by day its great excellence at both a technical and human level and that the renewed Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS is stronger than ever. I’d like to thank all the friends and sponsors who have accompanied us during this exciting season and end with a special thanks to Marc van der Straten because without him none of this would be possible.”