Augusto Fernández joins Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS for 2020
After enjoying a fantastic season in which he scored five podiums and three victories, the 22-year-old Madrid rider Augusto Fernández joins the ranks of the Belgian-Hispanic structure for the 2020 Moto2 World Championship campaign.
- Fernández made his Moto2 debut at the 2017 Italian Grand Prix for Speed Up and he competed in the last thirteen races of that season. Previously he raced in the FIM CEV Repsol Moto2 and in 2014 he was crowned European Junior Cup Champion.
- In 2018, Fernández raced a Kalex chassis for the Pons HP40 squad in the Grand Prix of Catalonia and he stayed with the same team for the remainder of that year before signing a permanent deal for 2019.
- This year, Fernández has established himself as one of the youngest and brightest prospects in Moto2. In what was his first full season in the World Championship, Fernández finished fifth in the overall standings, despite injury ruling him out of the Argentina and Austin rounds.
- He collected 207 points and took five podiums, which included three victories in Assen, Silverstone and Misano. He also took one pole position at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
- Fernández is a young rider blessed with enormous talent and determination and he has been tipped for a great future in the World Championship. During the 2019 season he has consistently demonstrated his great potential by being a regular front-runner in the new Triumph-powered Moto2 era.
- With the arrival of Fernández, Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS completes its 2020 line-up, having already captured Sam Lowes earlier this year. It is without doubt a high-level line-up with which the Belgian-Hispanic structure aims to continue its unrivalled success in the Moto2 World Championship.
Augusto Fernández: Rider
“I’m really happy for the opportunity that Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS has given me to become part of their big family. It is a dream come true to continue growing in a great team like this. My objective is to give the maximum and to work very hard to fight for victories and have the opportunity to fight for the World Championship. I want to thank Marc van der Straten, the team and the sponsors who have shown great faith in me. I promise to do everything in my power not to disappoint them and to repay their confidence with good results”.
Marc van der Straten: Team Owner
“I’m very happy to announce the addition of Augusto Fernández to our team. This year he has proven to be one of the best riders on track. He has been able to fight and win against more experienced riders. We are convinced of his talent and possibilities to continue fighting for the front positions. With his arrival, we complete a fantastic Moto2 team for 2020 with which we will continue dreaming and, above all, enjoying ourselves”.
Joan Olivé: Team Manager
“The choice of Augusto Fernández to represent the colours of Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS in 2020 is not random. His great performances throughout the season made us notice him and his name was among the possible additions in the future. As a vacancy arises in the team, it is our pride and pleasure to be able to incorporate a pilot of Augusto’s stature into the team and with whom we hope to continue fighting for the top positions.”.