Di Meglio signs off MotoE 2020 with another second place at Le Mans
Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS’s Mike Di Meglio narrowly misses out on a famous home win and places second in an epic seven-lap MotoE finale at Le Mans.
- After the earlier Moto2 race started in damp, drying conditions, the 4.1km Bugatti Circuit at Le Mans was fully dry for the final MotoE race of the 2020 season.
- Courtesy of finishing as runner up on Saturday in race one, Mike Di Meglio started the 7-lap race two from second on the grid.
- In a dramatic exchange at the first chicane, which led to two riders crashing out, Di Meglio emerged in the lead and led Niki Tuuli and Josh Hook in an exciting three-way fight for the win.
- Despite matching the fastest times from race one, Mike was unable to break clear of his pursuers. Tuuli passed the Frenchman for the lead on the run to turn one with two laps to go and even though Mike was close, he couldn’t pass the Finn for the lead at the end.
- Still, his second runner up position in two days were enough to lift Mike to fourth in the final World Cup Classification with 75 points to his name, 39 back of 2020 World Cup Champion Jordi Torres.
/// MIKE DI MEGLIO, 2nd
“It was very good to finish on the podium again. Today I tried to get the victory but Tuuli was very strong. He passed me two laps from the end and although I tried to overtake him on the last lap. In the first sector I had a chance and I was very close but it’s a dangerous place if you make a mistake. I tried in the last corner but I had a big slide. Anyway, it’s good to finish the season like this. It’s good for the mind and for next year that we did a great end of season. I want to say thanks to the team. We’ve improved race-by-race and it’s been very good. I’m really happy.”
/// JOAN OLIVÉ, Team Manager:
“Mike showed that he can fight for the top positions”
“It’s really good to finish the MotoE season with two podiums. This weekend Mike showed that he can fight for the top positions. We also finally gave him a bike that he could enjoy and show all his potential. We are happy to finish in this way and we’re already looking forward to starting again!”