Lowes and Fernandez back on track at Catalunya test
The Elf Marc VDS Racing Team warmed up for the busy Moto2 schedule ahead with a successful one-day private test session at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya today.
- With a hectic run of four races in five weeks fast approaching, Sam Lowes and Augusto Fernandez had the opportunity to test a range of machine settings in advance of the Catalan Grand Prix on June 6.
- Both Lowes and Fernandez drew positive conclusions from today’s time on track and are now looking forward to the next round of the World Championship, which takes place on May 30 at the fast and technical Mugello track in Italy’s Tuscany mountains.
/// AUGUSTO FERNANDEZ
- The 23-year-old had an extremely busy day on the 4.6km Barcelona track as he concentrated on evaluating different front and rear suspension settings.
- The Spaniard was also able to focus on chassis and geometry settings on a dry but breezy day and he completed a very productive 104 laps.
“I feel we’ve taken another good step for future races”
“Today’s test was very good. We’ve been trying some things that we wanted to have a look at during a race weekend, but we’ve not quite had time. We found some positive ways to make our base setting better. The test we did in Aragon was positive and we showed the progress in Le Mans, but I feel we’ve taken another good step and that makes me very happy and confident for future races.”
/// SAM LOWES
- Improving grip was the specific target for Briton Lowes today as he completed a marathon stint of 101 laps.
- With one eye on the forthcoming Barcelona battle as well, Lowes worked on the race set-up he hopes will put him in podium contention when the Elf Marc VDS Racing Team returns to Catalunya next month.
“We tried things to help me for the Grand Prix here”
“It was a good test. This afternoon we struggled a little bit with the windy conditions, but it was like in most tests, we found some good things and some that didn’t quite work as we’d hoped. The team have done a really good job because we were able to look at a few things that should help me when we come back here soon for the Grand Prix. I’m looking forward to having a few days to rest now and then getting to Mugello where I’m confident we can be strong.”