Lowes flies to front row ahead of Brno battle
Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Sam Lowes stormed to a third successive front row start in 2020 and is joined in the top 10 on the grid for the Czech Republic Grand Prix by teammate Augusto Fernandez.
- Lowes has put himself in a great position to fight for the victory in tomorrow’s Brno Moto2 race after he qualified in a superb second position for the 19-lap clash.
- Fernandez is also ready to fight with the front pack tomorrow after his increased front-end confidence helped him claim his first qualifying top 10 for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS.
/// AUGUSTO FERNANDEZ: 8th, 2:02.365, 24 laps
- Fernandez got an early boost in FP3 this morning when he was able to set a fast and consistent rhythm while working with a full fuel tank and worn tyres to assess his pace in full race trim.
- His first mission of the day was accomplished when he went into time attack mode in the closing stages of FP3 to move into Q2 with the eighth fastest time.
- Riding together with teammate Lowes in Q2 to help each other’s rhythm, Fernandez was able to mount a strong challenge for the top six in the crucial 15-minute session.
- He posted a best lap of 2:02.365 on his fourth of seven laps completed and will start from the middle of the third row of the grid for round four of the 2020 World Championship.
“I think we can enjoy a very strong race”
“I’m really happy with my performance throughout today, but especially in qualifying. We have improved a lot since the last race and I didn’t make a perfect lap in Q2, otherwise I think our grid position would be even better. I closed the front a couple of times while pushing really hard but I’m happy with the third row. I’m confident I have a good pace for the race and if we can make another step in the Warm-up, I think we can enjoy a very strong race.”
/// SAM LOWES: 2nd, 2:01.822, 24 laps
- Lowes made a big statement in FP3 this morning with a hot lap of 2:01.809 making him the fastest rider in Free Practice around the fast and technical 5.4km Brno track.
- Only Luca Marini was able to lap within 0.3s of the number 22, who went into Q2 brimming with confidence that he could once again fight for pole position.
- Lowes did exactly that and a lap of 2:01.822 instantly moved him onto the front row in second position.
- Only American Joe Roberts was faster than Lowes and after securing his third front row in the last three races, the 29-year-old is ready to attack for his first podium finish for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS tomorrow.
“I would love to be on the podium tomorrow”
“I am so happy with another strong qualifying display and it’s great for me and the team to be on the front row for the third time in three races. The team have given me a good bike all weekend and I feel really confident for tomorrow. We have worked really hard to be strong in terms of my race pace and I feel we can do a great job. Fighting from the front row is always positive and I would love to be on the podium here tomorrow after all the good work we have done.”