Lowes triumphant in Teruel for third straight victory!
Sam Lowes completes a lights-to-flag victory at the Teruel Grand Prix to take the lead of the Moto2 World Championship while August Fernández rides to a strong eighth place.
- It was the perfect end to the recent triple-header for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS, whose riders led all of the weekend’s sessions (from Free Practices to Warm Up), as Sam Lowes mastered the 21-lap Moto2 race at the Motorland Aragon Circuit to win his third race in succession.
- After today’s results, the Belgian squad remains in second place in the Moto2 Team’s Championship, but it has now reduced the deficit – just 45 points – to Sky Racing Team VR46 in first.
/// AUGUSTO FERNÁNDEZ, 8th
- From 9th on the grid, 23-year old Fernández made a strong start to gain two places on the first lap and from there he was involved in a fight which contained eight riders.
- Using Dunlop’s softer rear tyre compound, Augusto suffered from a lack of grip in the final laps and was unable to pass Jake Dixon for seventh. Still, his race time was 11 seconds faster than last week at the Aragon GP.
- The result sees Fernández climb one place in the World Championship to 12th with 62 points, 1 behind Xavi Vierge in 11th.
“We made some passes and I enjoyed it”
“We fought all race! We made some passes and I enjoyed it. For sure it’s not the position that we want to be in but we fought for the top five. I finished with no rear grip. My rear tyre dropped a lot at the end of the race and I couldn’t battle. Until that moment I was fighting for the top four or five and that was all we could do today. Congratulations to the team because Sam now has some really good momentum. The championship is there so I’m very happy for him. For us we’ll keep trying at the last three races, starting in Valencia. I’m really looking forward to starting the weekend there to keep fighting for our goal, which is to get a podium before the end of the season.”
/// SAM LOWES, 1st , Race Winner
- Having topped four of this weekend’s six sessions, 30-year old Lowes got his best start of the season and led from the first corner. From there he set an incredible pace from the very first lap.
- The Briton set the fastest lap of the race on lap 2 – a sensational 1’51.730 – and from there extended his lead from 1.5 seconds to a dominant 8.4 seconds at the checkered flag.
- Lowes’ third win of 2020 puts him into the lead of the World Championship with 178 points. He now sits 7 points ahead of Enea Bastianini in second.
- Lowes’ win is the first time a British rider has won three consecutive races in the intermediate category of grand prix racing since Phil Read did so in 1971!
“I’m really happy and really proud”
“I’m very, very happy with this result. The team did a fantastic job improving the bike from the first race in Aragon. I really enjoyed the race. It was nice to finally get a good start and lead early! The bike was working well. I said to myself that if we could have three really strong results in this triple header we can fight for the championship and that’s what has happened. I’m really happy and really proud. Thanks to the team and all the sponsors. Now we’ll look forward to fighting for the championship in the last three races.”
/// JOAN OLIVÉ, Team Manager:
“To take this victory at this point in the championship is really good”
“This weekend Sam has been incredibly fast since the first day and with his pole position on Saturday. Since the start of the race he showed his strong pace. To take this victory at this point in the championship is really good. Also taking the lead of the championship before the last three rounds is really good for him and all of the team. For Augusto it was another good race, fighting very close to the podium positions. Step-by-step we are sure in these last three rounds we will be on the podium with him as well.”