Mike Di Meglio makes impressive start as MotoE returns in Austria
The FIM Enel MotoE World Cup powered into the Red Bull Ring today, with Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Mike di Meglio a top three challenger in both sun-drenched practice sessions.
- French rider di Meglio started preparations for round two of the exciting new MotoE World Cup in the scenic Styrian mountains today, with two 30-minute practice sessions staged in hot and humid conditions.
- Di Meglio demonstrated great pace and consistency and just 0.1s split his time in FP1 and FP2 as the 18-rider field had to contend with scorching track temperatures that peaked at 46 degrees.
- Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS has an early start to proceedings tomorrow with the addition of a third practice session to be run over 20 minutes added to the schedule at 830am local time.
Mike di Meglio: 1:36.023, 19 laps, 82 km.
- Eager to get back on track after storming to a historic podium finish in the inaugural MotoE World Cup clash in Germany last month, di Meglio finished third in FP1 with a time of 1’36.023 that was only 0.157s adrift of Niki Tulli’s fastest pace.
- Content with his pace displayed this morning over a nine-lap stint, di Meglio used the same set of Michelin tyres for FP2 and a consistent rhythm over 10 further laps showed he’s in great shape to battle for the podium again.
- He also used the track time this afternoon to work on braking stability and he finished the day in an encouraging sixth place overall.
“I was happy to be inside the top three this morning”
“This morning was good and I was happy to be inside the top three. This afternoon we spent the whole session working with used tyres and my lap times were still very competitive. We need to understand which direction to take with the set-up tomorrow but I have saved one new tyre and I’m confident I can improve the lap time.”