Nice sixth place for Di Meglio at Misano
Mike Di Meglio scores his best result of 2020, gets involved in the victory fight and finishes just 0.7 seconds behind the race winner in an exciting six-rider battle at the Grand Prix of San Marino.
- Mike Di Meglio gambled with a set-up change before the 7-lap MotoE race at the in Grand Prix of San Marino in a bid to address the lack of speed he experienced on the straights during free practice and qualifying.
- It soon became clear the set-up change worked brilliantly as the Frenchman gained three positions on the first two laps to sit in sixth, 1.1 seconds behind the leading group.
- Di Meglio then posted his fastest lap of the weekend on lap three (a 1:43.423) as he joined the fight for victory. When he passed Dominique Aegerter and Jordi Torres, a podium finish was definitely possible.
- But Mike soon realised that he lacked rear tyre grip in the final two laps and was unable to stop Aegerter and Torres getting past. Still, the former 125cc World Champion, finished sixth, 0.780s off race winner Matteo Ferrari, his best result of the season.
- The ten points gained for sixth place lifts Mike to eighth in the World Cup standings with 25 points, 32 behind leader Aegerter.
/// MIKE DI MEGLIO, 6th, +0.780 s.
“I had no rear tyre left I couldn’t make my normal lines”
“We tried a different setting for the race because we were losing too much on the straight. It was a lottery because I didn’t know the bike. We did well because I felt good. On the first lap I tried to push. It was not perfect but I gained some places. In the first corner of lap two I was in traffic with some riders, who I was trying to pass. I saw 43.8s on my board and I knew that the bike was much better than in the Epole. I lost a little gap to the first group but I pushed a lot to bring them back. I’m lucky because I was able to do it. But in doing so I destroyed my rear tyre. On the third lap I got to fourth place but as I had no rear tyre left I couldn’t make my normal lines. We need to work for the next race. I feel like I have a good pace. We need to work for the Epole so I start on the first two rows. Like this I can manage my tyre and for sure I will be on the podium next time!”
/// JOAN OLIVÉ, Team Manager:
“We are very close to the podium”
“It was a really good race for Mike today. We made some changes to the bike from Saturday to Sunday and it worked really well. Mike felt very comfortable and this is a clear step forward in today’s race. This makes us very happy and confident for the next races. We are very close to the podium. Now we are enjoying it again!”