Sam Lowes extends Elf Marc VDS Racing Team contract
The Elf Marc VDS Racing Team is delighted to confirm it has reached an agreement with multiple Moto2 race winner Sam Lowes to remain with the Belgian squad for 2022.
- Since joining Marc VDS Racing last year, the British rider has continued to bring success to the most decorated team in the history of the Moto2 World Championship.
- Lowes enjoyed a hugely successful debut season with the squad in 2020 and he finished third in the World Championship standings with three wins, seven podiums and three pole positions.
- The 30-year-old has enjoyed more success in 2021 in the livery of the Elf Marc VDS Racing Team and he is firmly in contention for a top three World Championship finish again after winning the opening two races in Qatar and finishing third in Jerez.
- The Elf Marc VDS Racing Team is also pleased to announce that Lowes will be supported by an unchanged technical crew. Vastly experienced crew chief Gilles Bigot will lead a highly motivated squad including data technician Julien Robert and mechanics Olivier Boutron and Anthony Couturier.
- The renewal with Lowes completes an exciting Elf Marc VDS Racing Team line-up for 2022 following the recent signing of talented Italian Tony Arbolino.
/// SAM LOWES
“I’m very happy to confirm this renewal with the Elf Marc VDS Racing Team. I want to thank Marc van der Straten for believing in me. He gave me an opportunity in 2020 and he’s now giving me this chance to stay where I love to be. It has been a great adventure together already and I feel I’ve improved my performances being part of this project. There is a great atmosphere with my crew, and I still feel like I’m improving all the time. I know the Elf Marc VDS Racing Team is doing everything to make me stronger and I feel proud to be staying in this great team and I’m confident we can enjoy more success in the future. My goal is to fight for the World Championship, and I believe remaining with the Elf Marc VDS Racing Team gives me the best chance of achieving that.”
/// MARC VAN DER STRATEN, Team Owner:
“It gives me immense pleasure to renew the contract with Sam and to continue to count on the talent and dedication he has shown since the first day he joined our team. We had high expectations of him, and he has not disappointed. He is a great rider who is always willing to fight and give his best in any circumstances and his results back that up. We both want more; we want to achieve it together and I am convinced that we will get it.”